Monday, May 2, 2011

Empty Lamps

May 1, 2011

The Life of Jesus Today; Read - Parable of the 10 Virgins. Matthew 25:1-13

Matthew 25:2-3 ESV

Five of them were foolish, and five were wise. For when the foolish took their lamps, they took no oil with them,


I think it weird that there were five virgins with no oil.  Why? What is a lamp without oil?  The fact is that they did have oil, just not enough. When the bridegroom ran late, they ran out.

My oil is the Word. I can get enough to keep it lit for a while by going to church and a light devotional. But if I want to keep it going, I had better keep doing a lot more.  Inned to read the Word regularly, I need to listen to tapes/mp3s, I need to read good books.  This will build up my oil supply.  But watching TV, surfing the Internet and the like, while they are not bad things to do, are not what is going to keep me ready for when the bridegroom returns to take me to my new home.

Read for next time: Parable of the talents Matthew 25:14-30

Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list