Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Sheep or Goat

May 3, 2011

The Life of Jesus Today; Read - Warnings about the Judgment; Matthew 25:31-46

Matthew 25:45-46 (ESV)
Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Again a story of death and destruction or eternal life.  I having read this have wondered what the differences is between sheep and goats.  My Sunday School class even spent some time discussing this not long ago.  In reading this last night I took a few moments to review the differences.  Other than tails, fur and fighting styles there is not a whole lot different on the outside.  There is some chromosome differences, but we can not see what is on the inside.  The goat’s fir does not grow as full as a sheep, so there is some lesser value there I presume.  To the naked eye, it takes a lot to tell the differences.

And so it is with this parable.  The differences are not easily seen on the outside of the people.  I am sure they all went to church on Sunday, read their Bible and raised kids.  The difference is in what they did and did not do.  The sheep did things for God and the goats did not.  Works will not get me into heaven that is sure.  It is necessary to, however, act like the Christian that God wants me to be.  If I do, I can enter into His rest.  If not....

Read for next time: Jesus predicts day of crucifixion; Matthew 26:1-2

Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list