Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Dignity


January 11, 2012
The Life of Jesus; read today: Soldiers divide the garments of Jesus; Matthew 27:35-36; Mark 15:24; Luke 23:34; John 19:23-24

ABP: Mark 15:24. And having crucified him, they divided his garments, casting a lot over them, who should take what.

I learned in reading the commentaries for this verse, that the garments of the condemned man were considered the wages for the solders who did the execution.   They would throw the lots and see which man got to choose first, second, etc.  So this was a common occurrence at this time.

I can get a picture of what is happening here.  Jesus is up on the cross, looking down on the men who have stripped Him and now are throwing dice to divide up his clothing. What little dignity He may have had was now gone.  Jesus just gave it all.

A few night ago, my wife corrected my actions in front of the children.  I felt that she had embarrassed me in front of the kids so I blew up and let her know my feelings.  I guess my dignity was at stake here.  I wonder when I will be more like Jesus and not let my emotions get in the way.

Read for next time: "Behold your mother."; John 19:25-27