Thursday, January 5, 2012

Crucifixion


January 5, 2012
The Life of Jesus; read today: He is crucified on the 3rd hour; Mark 15:25

YLT: Mark 15:25. and it was the third hour, and they crucified him;

Kind of says it all, doesn't it?  No wiggle room here, he was crucified, with all that it meant.  There was pain involved. In our capital punishment we make sure that the guilty do not feel the pain that they made their victims go through. The Romans were not that kind.  They made sure that everyone saw the pain, that way others would think twice about breaking the law. I can barely imagine the pain that Jesus went through.

I started writing this devotional a few years ago when I was recovering from surgery.  I had some time to sit and pray and got the leading that I should do this, so I started it.  But the pain I was in those few days before the surgery, oh how bad it was.  I can remember saying that if someone told me to stand on my head and make a noise like a duck and the pain would go away, I would have done it.  I hurt so bad I was nearly in tears.  Yet, what I suffered was no where near what Jesus did.  

I can only imagine what it was like for Him, as they put the nails in the hands and feet.  I can imagine Him saying I could make this stop so easily.  Yet He did not.  What suffering I go through is nothing compared to what He had. And that is not just the physical pain, but the mental pain as well.  So much here to think about.  


Read for next time: 2 robbers are crucified with Jesus; Matthew 27:38; Mark 15:27-28; Luke 23:33; John 19:18