Tuesday, August 4, 2009

From hero to zero

August 4, 2009

The life of Jesus. Read Today: Jesus rebukes Peter; Matthew 16:21-28; Mark 8:31-9:1; Luke 9:18-27

Peter goes from hero to zero real fast. One moment Jesus is telling Peter that Jesus will build His church on Peter. The next moment:

Matthew 16:23 MKJV
(23) But He turned and said to Peter, Go, Satan! You are an offense to Me, for you do not savor the things that are of God, but those that are of men.


Why the change? We often like to live in the praise of the moment. It puffs us up to think that we can do no wrong. Peter was in that mood. When Jesus talks about his death and how soon it will be. Peter jumps in and tells Him no! I am sure Peter is thinking, Jesus is testing me, I will protect Him so He will not die. Jesus knew what was before Him and rejected Peter and his promises.

In my personal life I got a letter the other day. The old fashioned kind that uses paper and ink. My kids had come home from summer camp and had a great time. I thought typical youngsters, had fun now back to work. But in this letter one of the camp councilors told me what a treat it was to minister to my kids. They had blessed him with the way they lived and how they reacted to others. I was on cloud nine. I think I felt like Peter felt when Christ said He would build his church on Peter. If I was not careful I could try to live in that moment. But like Peter I would not be doing God's plan for my life. I have years more of training for those kids.

Do not allow yourself to live long in the moment of glory. Enjoy it, realize that there is more work to do for the kingdom.


Read for next time: The Transfiguration; Matthew 17:1-8; Mark 9:2-8; Luke 9:28-36

Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list