Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Discipleship

March 2, 2009


The life of Jesus. Read Today: Jesus ascends to address the multitude; Matthew 5:1

Matthew 5:1 ESV
1 Seeing the crowds, he went up on the mountain, and when he sat down, his disciples came to him.


So many years I have seen the model of discipleship. An older man in the faith is to find a younger man
in the faith and teach them what they know about their faith. In doing so, the discipleship is passed not from generation to generation but from person to person. While this is a good thing to do, it is not what Jesus did. The disciples came to Him and he taught them.

Some of the best teachings that I have are from people that I have sought out to for council on what I am to do in a certain situation. I think it works better that way. I am the one seeking out the help. I am not going through a ritual simply because that is the way it has always been done.

We get in ruts sometimes. Maybe both methods can and do work. You think?

Read for tomorrow: Sermon on the Mount; Matthew 5:1-8:1; Luke 6:20-49