Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Have you seen my Father?

July 26, 2011
The Life of Jesus; read today:  Jesus responds to Thomas; John 14:5-7

‘A chip off the old block.’ ‘Apple does not fall far from the tree.’ ‘Like father, like son.’  All are expressions that I have heard over the years.  They all mean the same thing.  Something I have grown to resent.  Because my dad was an drinker meant that I was going to be so also and I had to work hard not to be like him.  I did so. Never have I taken a drink so I am not like him. Yet, Jesus says something curious in today’s reading.

ESV: John 14:7. If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.

So Jesus is trying to say, if you know Me (Jesus), then you know my Father (God). Jesus is basically saying that it is true.  So what does that leave for my relationship with my father? Am I like my father?  The answer is yes. Though I have tried to change things I could only change a little.  While I do not drink, I still had problems with anger like he used to display.  I still also display the work all the time, no time for family push that he did as well.

So like Jesus, if you have seen me, you have seen my father.

On the other hand, I also have a heavenly Father.  I need to get close to Him and take on His characteristics.  So if you see me, you will see my Father.


Read for next time: Jesus responds to Philip; John 14:8-21

Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list