Saturday, September 19, 2009

Causing others temptation

September 19, 2009

The life of Jesus. Read Today: Warnings about stumbling blocks; Matthew 18:7-11; Mark 9:43-50

Matthew 18:7 (Amplified Bible)

7Woe to the world for such temptations to sin and influences to do wrong! It is necessary that temptations come, but woe to the person on whose account or by whom the temptation comes!



Sometimes verses just kind of jump at you. Some verses kinda sit there at surprise you when you are not looking. As I prepared for this devotional, this was the latter. I have read this verse in many translations and never did see it there. Jesus is clearly saying that there will be temptations to sin. I can say that from experience. In fact, Jesus says it is necessary. Why, because it builds us. We can choose to sin or not. When we do not we build ourselves up just that much more and are ready for the next step that God has for us.

But the last part of the verses.... ouch! If I am a person that causes temptation in the life of someone else, what is my fate. Jesus does not make it clear, but it does not sound good. So what does that mean to cause someone else to have temptation?

If I am a boss who does not pay my workers a fair wage, and they are tempted to steal to survive am I guilty of causing his temptation?
If I am a husband who hides affection for his wife and she finds herself in the arms of someone else .....
If I am a wife who withholds normal sexual intimacy in life of my husband and he finds it in the arms of someone else .....

Read for next time: Parable about the lost sheep; Matthew 18:12-14
Visit http://dailydevotionbob.blogspot.com/ for more tools and sign up for mailing list