Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Giving and getting?

May 5, 2009

The life of Jesus. Read Today: Parables by the Sea; Matthew 13:1-35; Mark 4:1-34; Luke 8:4-18


Mark 4:24-25 ESV 
24 And he said to them, “Pay attention to what you hear: with the measure you use, it will be measured to you, and still more will be added to you.
25 For to the one who has, more will be given, and from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away.” 

At a part time job I have my boss walked up on a group of us that were working.  While the rest of the group was standing around doing nothing, I was sweeping.  I saw a job that needed to be done and did it.  While he went over and told them to get to work in general terms, he asked me to do a specific task when I was done.  Why me specific and them generic, I do not know.  What I do know is the words of Jesus. to the one who has, more will be given. Now a lot of preachers like to make that in to a financial blessing scripture but I do not see it that way. 

There is a worldly proverb that meshes in with this verse nicely. If you want someone to do a job, find someone that is busy and ask them to do it. If you want to be a minister of the Gospel, you need to start out with the small things.  Some people would flinch at working with kids but it is a start and they need to hear Jesus taught as well.  God can then take the work that you do and give you more and greater things. 

Get involved in your church. 

Read for tomorrow: Parables explained and told in private 13:36-53